The Conococheague Creek Aqueduct was recently restored by the National Park Service and McMullan Engineers. C&O Canal aqueducts are, in effect, water bridges that carry canal boats over creeks and rivers that flow into the Potomac River. Built from 1833 to 1835, the Conococheague Aqueduct is the fifth of 11 such “works of art” on the canal. In 1920, the berm parapet dramatically collapsed along with a canal boat into the creek. The parapet was rebuilt using a wood wall and outrigger system and functioned until the canal ceased operations in 1924. This project was intended to restore the aqueduct to working condition with its appearance of the early 1920s.